Friday, April 24, 2009

looking up or down

I have this crazy desire to lie on the ground and look up through the tree branches.

It doesn't seem "appropriate" for a 51-year old to do this, but it could be the influence of those little Girls on the Run... or the caress of a warm spring breeze awakening my so-called inner child.

Whatever.

Hang what the neighbors think. I grabbed the camera and lay under the dogwood tree. By the way, I always wanted a dogwood. This house came with one, but I didn't even know it until I cut off the end of a branch and took it to a guy at work who knew a lot more about trees than I do and he pronounced it a dogwood. And it was a pink dogwood to boot. It was one of those times when I really felt like God knew this unspoken desire of my heart and decided to give me a dogwood.



I'm thinking that I miss a lot of things on my busy, forward-looking path.

For example, a passerby would miss the very cool eggplant shingles framing the white attic window of our house--unless they happened to look up.



And unless I look down occasionally, I'll miss a lot of other things. The ferns all fuzzily furled, for example. Or brightly colored quince blossoms.



And the hellebores. I'm not sure exactly why their beautiful blossoms hang down. You really have to be at ground level to appreciate them.



And my favorites, the dahlias. They're not supposed to overwinter in Michigan, but they're right next the the foundation of the house with a southern exposure. Each spring, I look among the dead stalks from the prior year's growth. And behold! Tiny green leaves poking bravely toward the light.



Look up. Look down. Maybe even lie on the ground underneath a tree and admire the fractals.

There's a lot to see in life.

1 comment:

patty said...

thanks Susan for the encouragement to look around at the beauty God has given us.