Monday, April 6, 2009

joy?

So, I've been niggled lately by the thought of joy. And committing to it.

The question asked recently was, "What do you want more of in your life?" I responded, "More joy!" I became aware of how joy-less many people are, including me. It's easy to get sucked into the swirling eddy of discontent, dissatisfaction, and worry.

I don't necessarily think joy comes easily. At least not to a dysthymic person like myself. Like anything else, it is mastered only by practice, choice, and commitment. Did I learn to play the piano without hours of dedicated practice? Did I learn to speak French by waking up one morning and thinking, "I will speak fluent French from now on"? Heck no.

This morning, I decided to embrace joy. Could have been that child-like feeling of a special day because of the snow. (Am I ever going to outgrow that?)

I wasn't going to settle for less. I might have gone a little overboard, as I energetically approached the R&D team to warn them that they would be asked to cut their already slashed budget by $150,000. The commitment to joy produced energy that got me through that tough conversation, a difficult project, and yet another set of changes to our financial forecast.

The commitment to joy also created a deep sense of gratitude for the students I teach. As I came to class after work, I was happy to see them (even though some looked sleepy and bored). I courageously approached Terence, normally one of my best students, to express concern about his exam results (poor)--was there anything I can do?

Energy. Gratitude. Courage. Unexpected benefits from choosing joy.

It's the end of the day--a good day, a satisfying day.

Tomorrow I will need to practice joy again, I'm sure. Only practice makes permanent.

I want more joy. It's not too late.

1 comment:

patty said...

So right sister....never too late. His mercies are new every morning...which to me means...every morning we get another chance to choose joy!