Tuesday, November 13, 2012

ichabod

The glory has departed. That's the commonly used translation of Ichabod. God has left the house.

I'm still trying to process Sunday's sermon. Already wondering why I am at this particular house of worship, the pastor chose to use a hammer to crack an egg, as my mom would say.

An exhortation to worship became egregious. We were told to repeat Psalm 107:1 until we believed it - and then stand. We were told that we were offering stale worship, not pleasing to God. Then we were asked, "Why are you here?"

I left devastated. It was all I could do not to leave before the message was finished.

Yesterday I was reassured that God is still speaking to me. I had a strange peace and detachment, as though a door had closed to me, but left me in a place of freedom.

When I look at the church it is gray, lifeless. Ichabod. The glory has departed.

I don't belong.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Such a heavy piece. I am glad you hear God's voice over man's. His is the only one that matters! God's guidance to you as you try to figure out your next steps.

Christy @ A Heartening Life
www.ahearteninglife.com

reikigirl said...

Hi Susan, visiting from FMF. You do belong, you are just finding the path that is right for you.
I'm finding my own too. "I'll be back". Rosanne

Susan said...

Oh my please find another church. And if you need to hear uplifting blessed messages that say you are God's daughter and He loves you with gentle instruction then try the online ones from my church. Blessings to you. http://www.rockchurch.com/ministries/womens_ministry/podcast

Susan said...

Dearest women, thank you for reaching out! I should have had the "Wonder" post done before I used the "Linky" - so you got the very heavy, angst-filled Ichabod. God is definitely working out the details of the church situation. And Susan - I will check out those podcasts.