Wednesday, December 5, 2012

unexpected.gifts.

As I typed the title, it seemed to me that in a way, all gifts are unexpected. I try not to expect gifts, nor do I want to feel entitled to them... though a birthday without gifts has never, ever occurred in my life.

Tuesday's gifts?

My normally self-absorbed co-worker told me that she's baking Christmas cookies this weekend and to expect a plate of them (and to run a few extra miles in preparation!)

That won't be a problem as long as this continues:


The second gift - running in shorts and T-shirt in 56-degree weather. So, you say? This is December.in.Michigan. Any run without three shirts and two pairs of pants is a gift!

The third gift came from some of my accounting students.


I'm not "that" teacher, the popular one. So it was surprising and delightful to get a whole box, not just a sample.

During this season of Advent, I'm looking for this type of gift - the small, the unexpected - as well as reminding myself of the priceless gift, the reason for it all - Jesus Christ.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

They come in just the way you describe. But the 'seeing' of them, that it the blessing. May you continue to 'see' the unexpected.