Saturday, December 1, 2012

filled.with.joy

Source: flickr.com via Susan on Pinterest


Why is it so easy to believe that it's done when I pray for others, that I have what I ask?

Today we celebrated Joel's 55th birthday and his homecoming from the rehabilitation hospital. He almost died last month. A fall from a ladder, a fractured femur, a good-bye to his wife as he headed into surgery. The orthopedic surgery was replaced by a desperate nine-hours removing blood clots from his heart and lungs. The situation was so rare and grave that it required phone consults with a major teaching hospital two hours away.

It was easy to pray and believe that God would intervene for him.

Today is the second anniversary of terrible horrors that my friend's son witnessed in Afghanistan. Again, I find myself praying for a life. His psychological wounds go deep. The sense of betrayal (where was God?) has him turned spiritually upside-down. This is the boy who prayed for me when he was small, when my desire for life disappeared during divorce. When I was spiritually and psychologically upside-down, I truly believe that this child's prayers turned the tide.

It is easy to pray and believe that God will intervene for him.

Why is it easy to have such faith for these situations? Why not the other circumstances I face? I asked my husband. The difference seems to be that I have faith for God's work in others' lives, but not my own.

All I know is this: the Word was alive to me again today.

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. ~Psalm 126:3

No comments: