Sunday, December 16, 2012

the.conductor

With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord! Psalm 98:6

I stood, awash in the glorious sound (trumpets, tubas, and every horn in between). I found myself crying at the sheer beauty of music never to be repeated in exactly the same way. Its message spoke to my heart of Epic God who came to us as Emmanuel.

The arranger and conductor - a high school student - directed the ensemble with confidence and skill. I watched his masterful leadership and the musicians' response - whether decrescendo to pianissimo, or a crescendo to double fortissimo. The conductor pointed, beckoned, kept time - continuously communicating so that each musician knew when it was time to play or to rest...

What if we, the body of Christ, responded to God with such unity and purpose? Would it not be as magnificent as what I witnessed this morning?

Let us make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord!

No comments: