Thursday, March 26, 2009

orange

It's the sweetest orange I've had, coming from the hand of a 3rd grader on a day when I sorely needed it. "Here, Coach Susan, I brought this for you."

It was a day of creating financial plans in an effort to find millions of dollars and save jobs.

It was a day of looking forward to seeing the smiles and catching the contagious energy of the Girls on the Run team that I coach... A chance to leave behind the stress of worrisome business conditions beyond my control, and to spend time outside on a March day that felt perilously like spring.

It was to be a long day, heading to another coaching session--for Dale Carnegie--trading the kinetic frenzy of elementary school for inspiring enthusiasm in adults.

After changing clothes in my car (don't ask!), I pulled onto the road and, at the first stoplight, began to peel the orange. I hoped it wouldn't be one of those disappointing oranges that look luscious on the outside but turn out to be dry and full of seeds. Or the oranges where the bitter pith can't quite be removed.

I popped the first section in my mouth and it burst into full, flavorful sweetness. Each section tasted like love.

Orange. The highlight of my day.