Friday, March 27, 2009

big sister

I will always be his big sister, even though I'm 51 and he's turning 40 this year. Adulthood equalizes us in so many ways, yet... There is that big sister thing.

Big sister is a state of mind, that part of me that wants life to be good to him and not to bring too much pain his way--protective, a sheltering tree of sorts. Life has been good to him in so many ways, especially in the last three years. These years have brought an amazing wife, a home, and a baby son--after several lonely years on the relationship rollercoaster and working through the aftermath of DWI/DUI arrests.

He found out that in five weeks, his employer is closing the location where he works. Big uncertainty. Maybe there will be a position for him at headquarters, 3-1/2 hours away from his wife and son. Maybe he will be unemployed.

It's a story that happens multiple times in multiple locations every day in the especially-devastated Michigan economy within the depressed U.S. economy. It's why I don't want to watch television news or listen to radio news or read the newspaper. I know it's there, despite my head-in-the-sand efforts. My employer is taking heroic and radical measures to control expenses in an effort to preserve jobs.

My brother's situation brings economic reality into our family.

But--good news. When the winds of trouble try to huff and puff and blow our house down, love is our shelter.

That's what matters most.

2 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Being well loved makes all the difference, no matter what's happening. My roommate's architectural firm has laid of 2/3 of its staff. Currently he's still employed, sitting at a desk surrounded by empty desks. It must be so eerie.

Best of luck to your "little" brother. May the chaos of the current situation bring many opportunities to him.

Happy weekend!

patty said...

I will keep Bill in my prayers.