Saturday, March 14, 2009

happy



Scanning the New York Times headlines this morning, I found myself wishing for a section titled "Good News". This would be the immediate place to turn for hopeful, positive stories about people who are making a difference in their families, community, and the world at large. I know the stories are there--it's just that I have to traverse the titles of gloom and pessimism to pick them out.

Lately I've found myself avoiding newspapers, radio and television news. While that isolates me from things that are potentially critical for me to know, I figure that someone will eventually tell me. And if not, then did I really need to know?

I think I am happier--I know I am less frightened--for sheltering myself from things I cannot control. Yes, the economy is in turmoil. Not a thing I can do about that. Yes, Madoff ruined people financially. Can't help greed and stupidity. I want to focus on the circle I can influence: my family, friends, workplace, and community.

Another thing that I'm doing is following my mom's example. She takes precious memories and strings them on an imaginary necklace. What a beautiful picture for me! I know that the day I was born is one of the jewels on her necklace.

My necklace includes the pictures posted today. It's a day that stands out as Happy with a capital H. It was just before I turned 50, the day I ran my first 25k. It was my way of flipping the bird at turning 50. My husband brought my parents to the 13-mile mark, a triune cheering section. I paused to hug each one, and my dad of course told me I was wasting time by hugging. That's okay; I know he was glad I did!

The memory is of sunshine, love, exhaustion, accomplishment, and endurance. Physical endurance, certainly--25k is not for the fainthearted. Most importantly, relational endurance--the love of my parents and my husband.

Only one word for that day. Happy.

And happy gives me the endurance for this race called life.

1 comment:

patty said...

what an awesome uplifting post.
Thank you!
I love you.