Monday, May 28, 2012

loppers

One of my favorite "Dad" stories is about the time he came to help me with some yard work. He emerged from the car carrying his loppers, the old-timey ones with the wooden handles.

We headed for the back yard and got to work. I had my back to him, probably weeding or mulching the flower beds, my memory is hazy. But what I do remember is the startling fact that when I turned around after seemingly-few moments, the back yard was covered with branches. (Front yard, too!) "Dad! could you maybe leave me a few trees?!"


Fast forward. Today I decided to tackle the burning bush before they grew to second-story-level. (Just kidding.) The legacy continues. Snip a little here, lop a little there - and there I was with debris all over the front yard.

The loppers hold life lessons for me.

The importance of memory. The afternoon my dad and I spent together those years ago lives on in my memory. It was the dark time after divorce and I didn't know a whole lot about how to take care of a yard. As a matter of fact, I hadn't mowed a lawn until I was nearly 40 years old. My dad drove the 35 miles to my house to help me that day. And every time I lop branches I smile, remembering those piles of branches strewn across the yard.

The importance of heritage. Dad is a gardener, as were others in his family. So there was a gardening gene somewhere that emerged - inevitably? - 15 years ago. It turns out that my dahlia fascination connects back to a previous generation. My love of petunias stems directly from Dad. He talked about them for years, and I had a "Yeah, yeah" attitude - until I planted my first flat of crazy blooming, blooming, blooming purple petunias. Well, he was right. (And not just about the petunias).


The importance of attentiveness. Sometimes there is a gift hidden, one that must be uncovered by lopping. If I'm too busy or hurried, if I don't lop deeply enough, I'll miss it.


In this season of Dad's illness, I'm lopping. 

Lopping the good in order to get the best. 

Saying "no" to non-essentials in order to gain essentials. 

Memory. Heritage. Attentiveness.



No comments: