Friday, May 29, 2009

Yesu asobola

I have a current fascination with Ugandan language. Sharon and Michael left a week ago today, returning to Uganda to begin married life together.

For the wedding reception, I learned two phrases: Twabashemerera munonga! (We are very happy to see you!) and Nitubakunda munonga! (We love you so much!) And because memorization is so much easier if there's a happy tune to go along with it, I made up a little song.

With the marvels of Facebook, I learned that one of Michael's favorite singers is Judith Babirye... and because of You Tube, was able to watch her sing a song called Yesu Asobola, "Jesus can".

What a great reminder, that Jesus can. Today before I went to work, I told God I needed encouragement. (Bruce, who was praying with me, said "You go, girl!"). While Bruce's words were funny and helpful, it wasn't quite what I had in mind.

You see, for the past few weeks I've been pouring time and effort into developing ways to recognize and appreciate co-workers. I question whether it's going to mean anything, and whether people really care about that. Sometimes it feels like pushing a rope uphill. I'm tired, and I'm not getting much feedback.

But today, Susie delivered an envelope to me at my desk, and there it was: a nomination for Employee of the Month. WOW! One of my co-workers is on a mission and has been in relentless pursuit of my nomination. Cool beans.

Jesus can.


No comments: