Wednesday, December 24, 2008

patience (not)

I'd like to think I'm the center of the universe, but I'm not. Sometimes I am far down on someone's priority list...

I spent a lot of time in October/November traveling back and forth to the Detroit area for Dale Carnegie instructor training. Several Saturday mornings (when gas prices hovered around $4). Two four-day weekends in November for the "conferences" where the group of instructor candidates worked from 8:00 a.m. until about 4:00 p.m. planning and practicing the sessions. These sessions were delivered to a lab class that ran from 5:29 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. We then de-briefed, so I got to bed late each night. Travel time, vacation time off work, time away from husband, time spent not knitting or running (two of my major stress relievers).

The conference concluded on November 23rd. And I still don't know if I have been approved for the next step, tandem teaching a 12-week Dale Carnegie session with a certified instructor! IT'S BEEN FOUR WEEKS!

And it is not for lack of follow-up on my part. I sent e-mails. I left phone messages. Last Friday, they called me at home at 5:00 p.m. What are they thinking? I work full-time! I called back and left a message that evening. So far, no response.

This is an organization that prides itself on effective communication and intentional living. This is an organization that trains world-class trainers. It is difficult for me to understand what is so hard about 1) telling me what the process is and 2) giving me an estimated time frame for the decision! I sincerely hope that customers are not on the receiving end of this sort of experience.

And it's not just about me... My sponsor is trying to sell and organize a Dale Carnegie class beginning in February. Pretty soon he's going to have to find an instructor. He'd like to plan ahead.

I love the Carnegie progam. I believe its principles and that it truly works because it is time-based delivery--and because people have to set goals and report back on them. I was thrilled to participate in instructor training. It was worth it.

Call me crazy, but I'd just like to know if I'm going to become an instructor. I'd like to feel valued enough to warrant an update. I'd like to think that someone cares enough to recognize that I am making commitments for various activities in upcoming months--and that I have only so much time available. Yes, Carnegie is a priority--but I will not put my life on hold.

Wow. This is truly upsetting. I am going to sign off and practice my "live in daytight compartments" principles from Dale Carnegie.

1 comment:

patty said...

For some reason...this post just made me think of Andy Rooney of 60 minutes! He always questions the logic of the illogical!
I hope you hear soon from the crazy Carnegies!
If not...come over to the dark side of the "fly by the seat of your pants club"!