Sunday, September 27, 2009

rain

Sometimes I'm in that dry and thirsty place where I just need. We're running a marathon at work right now, a marathon of projections and budgets and auditors and an acquisition and inventory questions and now more auditors and ~ I keep thinking that we will take a breath and slow down and think and it doesn't come and I am so thirsty and I need.

The Bible says, "Selah." Pause. Think.

Selah.

I'm so grateful for the co-workers who ask me how I am. And mean it. And I'm thankful for the one who saw that I needed and wrote a funny note of encouragement on my board. Sometimes it's hard to admit that I need. I'm supposed to be strong and experienced and a can-do person. (Actually, I am strong and experienced and a can-do person!) I can be all those things and still need. It's okay to need. I'm reading a book by Leslie Parrott titled The First Drop of Rain. I've been fascinated by part of a poem that she wrote:

...Never forget,
Your heart is a spring.
Living waters flow in you.
And just the grace of your presence
Brings life all around you.
Never feel small.
Someone has to be
The first drop of rain.


This morning, on my way to church, the fog blanketed the earth and saturated it with moisture. I read recently about how such a very small amount of water can create a large amount of fog.

So what is my point? I'm not sure!

Maybe it's this... That when I need, I will remember that God's living water is a spring of life in me. I will look for the first drop of rain that a caring co-worker offers by asking how I am. And that out of need, I am still able to give... By listening to my daughter-in-law when she is hurting. By bringing a vase of dahlias~astonishing and glorious~to a stressed co-worker to remind her that there is beauty. This is not all there is to life.

God, may the grace of my presence, of Your presence in me, bring life all around me. Make me the first drop of rain.

No comments: