Tuesday, August 28, 2012

come weary



It took its toll on me, the pace. Uncharacteristically tired, I pressed on with the 3-1/2 mile walk with a friend and got up early the next morning for a 70-minute run. Then on to music rehearsal and to visit my parents, followed by a wonderful dinner with husband, stepson and daughter-in-law.

At least that's what I tell myself - it was the pace.

It was the pace that caused the sneezing and stuffiness and aches. I haven't been sick in I can't remember how long. Even when my pre-school age nephews coughed in my face, I was immune, invincible.

The truth is, I'm weary. Tired of the dilemma - what to do about the strained-beyond-measure relationship? The stress has gone from mind to body and I'm just flat worn out.

And life is short. Four weeks ago a friend committed suicide. Less than two weeks ago a co-worker was seriously injured in a car crash that could have killed him. So this rift, this seems-like-it's-insurmountable chasm, feels ever-more-urgent to resolve.

But there is an invitation... Jesus says, "Come to Me weary." In this busy, self-sufficient, I'm-in-control world, there is One who says, "Rest. It's OK. Let Me figure it out."

It's a beautiful offer.

I intend to accept.

No comments: